Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Counting your bars

Hope you've been practising well and been able to beat mix?! If you have and you are able to beat mix, then lets move on the the most important part. Learning to create a smooth and seamless mix. 

In order to achieve this, you need to learn to be able to count your bars. Have a look at the video below. After viewing it, come back and I'll explain it with more details.


Now that you know how to count your BPM, I'm going to tell how I count mine. Now when you do a 4 beat count, that will most definitely benefit you when your mixing r'n'b, hip hop or anything that is short. For house or Dance music, it's longer, so if you count 4 beats to a bar, as stated above, it will give you 8 bars.

The way I do this is that, I double the beats. So instead of counting 4 beats to a bar I count 8 beats to a bar. In that way, you get less bars to deal with. So, in a normal situation you will get 8 bars but when you count 8 beats you get half of that, which is 4 bars. Again, this is very useful when your a house DJ. Many DJs I know use that way.

Hope this was helpful to all of you. Again, please comment if you have any questions.